Thursday, October 16, 2008

Heroes - Super Teacher to the Rescue!

I have found that heroes come in many forms. They don't all wear capes and fly through the air. What real heroes possess is the ability to rescue someone in peril. Today is the birthday of my favorite "hero". Though "only" a general education teacher, this woman definitely leaps tall buildings with a single bound in my eyes!

When my son went to Kindergarten (his first inclusion experience) he was originally placed with a teacher that did not want him in her classroom. She refused to follow through on any accommodations on his IEP, plus she seldom communicated with me. This resulted in a downward spiral of negative behavior issues. This teacher was required to send home a daily report. Most of the questions were only "yes/no" type, but there were a few blanks. One questions was "What was Jonathan's best part of his day?" This was normally not answered. I asked her to please fill in that blank, and she wrote back, "I can never think of anything good to write about your son". Talk about ripping a Mother's heart out of her chest and stomping on it.

After many IEP meetings, the District Special Ed Director stepped in and helped the principal decide to switch Jonathan to a different classroom. At that point an angel disguised as a Kindergarten Teacher asked the principal if he would put Jonathan in her room, she felt she could make a difference in his life. Jonathan was placed in her class, and the changes that we saw were nothing short of miraculous.

Ms Z possessed the right balance of love and discipline, she was creative in her approach, had a "never give up" attitude. She would often share with me a "golden nugget" about his day, something she found cute or endearing, that let me know she genuinely enjoyed my son. We communicated nearly every day. We were on the same team, truly working together, loving the same boy, seeking for him to grow into his potential.

Sometime during that spring I realized the gift that God had given my son, was just as much of a gift to me. The appreciation I feel for this woman cannot be put into words. She was and will always be counted as one of God's greatest blessings in my life.

By the way, Jonathan remained in K for an additional year with Ms. Z. He blossomed under her care, and for another school year, this Mama's heart was comforted knowing that her precious son was loved and wanted in the classroom, as well as home.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
MICHELLE!
I hope that you have a very beautiful and special day, because you deserve it!

Because of the countless ways God's blesses our lives, I remain...




Donna



5 comments:

Unknown said...

What a beautiful tribute to a wonderful teacher! May God bless her for being so willing to love on your sweet boy. I imagine there are many crowns awaiting her in heaven for the difference she is making in his life.

Melinda said...

beautifully written and I can relate to this post!

Anonymous said...

There is something to be said about a great teacher. Sounds like you and your son had the experience of a very special lady.

Venetta

Jodi said...

Oh, my, you made me cry. That first teacher should be ashamed of her/himself but it was good because it gave Jonathan what he needed in the form of an amazing teacher!

Anonymous said...

I am amazed with this story. This is the type of devotion and godly love we could use more of. What a great gift for you and your son.