Sunday, April 5, 2009

Transformations - The Easter Miracle


Here it is the week before Easter. I am blessed to be on the worship team and my church. We did quite a bit of singing about the Cross this morning.

As a C
hristian, I've been pondering the cross and have some interesting thoughts to share. If I were a preacher, guess I'd have my Easter Sermon!

Think about the cross...what comes to mind?
A 14K Gold charm you wear
around your neck?
Or the hanging object at the front of a church?
Perhaps what is on top
of a steeple?

The Cross was an instrument of torture and death.
It was not
pretty or shinny.
It wasn't somethi
ng most people wanted to look at.
It represented a guilty ver
dict, a barbaric, cruel form of punishment, payment for a heinous crime.

Then I began thinking...what if?
What if Jesus did no
t die on a cross?
What if
Jesus was hung? Or shot by a firing squad?

Would w
e be singing songs about the "Precious Old Rope"?
Would our churches have nooses in their sanctuary as a remembrance?



Would we be wearing 14K Gold and diamond guns on chains around our necks? Can you hear the testimony? "The power of the gun made all the difference in my life."



Kind of slaps me into reality. How can something that is so vile and loathsome become the paramount emblem of our hope and joy?

It absolutely must be becau
se EVERYTHING that God touches is transformed. So many examples of transformations, if we look around.

The caterpillar metamorphosis into a butterfly.
..
A seed dies and grows into a beautiful flower...
Even an egg cracks open and the new life inside is hatched.

The cross, the instrument of intense pain, humiliation and death, has been transformed by the Power of God to something w
e cherish and honor. We look at the cross and we see the power of Love. Just Amazing...

Thank you for the cross, Lord
Thank you for the price You paid
Bearing all my sin and shame
In love You came
And gave amazing grace

Thank you for this Love Lord
Thank you for the nail pierced hands
Washed me in Your cleansing flow
Now all I know
Your forgiveness and embrace

Worthy is the Lamb
Seated on the throne
Crown You now with many crowns
You reign victorious

High and lifted up
Jesus Son of God
The Darling of Heaven crucified
Worthy is the Lamb
Worthy is the Lamb

I will forever be

Donna

4 comments:

Angie said...

I've actually been here since you got your "restart." Sorry for not leaving a comment.

That song this morning really tore me up. It truly is one of my favorites. Thanks for pointing out more and more of the significance in the words.

Carolynn said...

What wonderful insights God has given you. Thanks for sharing!

His pain, my healing,
His death, my life,
His forgiveness, my freedom

May this week be filled with His presence and a deeper sense of His indescribable gift!

Love ya, Carolynn

Meredith Curtis said...

Beautiful, Donna. thank you for sharing.

Gene Hinrichsen said...

Thanks Donna, that was awesome!! The beauty of the cross. His bloody encounter became our beautiful possession, prize, peace and pardon! Thanks for pointing me to your blog