Wednesday, April 1, 2009

You've Got to be Kidding!


Yesterday was a whirlwind. No, actually more like a Tsunami.

A few years ago, my son could not leave the watchful eye of an adult for even a minute. You never knew what he might do! Would you believe?
  • Climb to the to of the refrigerator to get to the cookie jar? (18 months old)
  • Leave his bedroom to roam the neighborhood at 2:00 AM? (at 2 years old!)
  • Attempting to cut the cat's tail off so it would look like the manx kitten he petted earlier in the day?
  • Line up 100 VHS tapes like a roadway through the house in ALPHABETICAL order (at 4 years old!)?
  • Escape over the ledge of an indoor play area at a mall to run barefoot to Sears? (When Dad found him, he was waving, going up an escalator.)
These are just a few of the *joys* we've experienced since our son was born.

However, in the past few years, he's matured. I can let him play downstairs while I cook dinner. He will be content playing with Legos, or on the Computer or Wii.

Yesterday, however...he reverted back to the days of needing to be jailed WHOOPS, I mean gated in his room.

In 2 short hours of being home from school he was able to:
  • fill the Downy Ball with soap
  • try to use the back of the recliner as a balance beam
  • eat string from his pocket as a between meal snack
  • purchase something on ebay (I left the browser opened, with my sign-in info filled in)
  • And scale to new heights, reaching an RC heliocopter on he top shelf of a 7 foot tall bookcase.
The last item on my list was the last straw. HOW DID HE MANAGE TO GET TO THE TOP SHELF OF A 7 FOOT BOOKCASE?

So as I was in the height of my frustration, I asked, "Did you climb it?"

Looking horrified, he replied, "NO! That's dangerous Mom!"

"Well, how DID you get it?"

"Oh, that's easy...see, I climbed up on the chair with the wheels in your office, rolled over to the door between the office and the den. Then I grabbed onto the top of the door of the Den, pushed off the rolly chair so I could swing the door over. I scaled the door to get the the end, then holding on the top of the door with one hand, I balanced on the door knob, and I reached the heliocopter, and jumped down!"

"And you think that is safe?"

"I didn't get hurt. Maybe I'm a super-hero in training or something."

Was it a full moon? Did he drink a Coke? Eat some cheese?
Take too many vitamins?

A few years ago I wanted to send an idea to Little Tikes. You know, the people that make the wonderful children's playhouses and climbing gyms. I was thinking there may be huge market for a Little Tikes Jail, where only Mom holds the key. Perhaps I should have followed through. Might have a pretty good bank account by now, not to mention a break once in a while.

Lest I get angry mail...
I'M JUST TEASING about the jail.
And you all know I love my son mega much. There are just those days, and yesterday was one of them!

Needless to say I am



Donna

6 comments:

Marie said...

You have a whole houseful of boys inside of one little body

Heidi said...

"Oh my gosh...I needed the laugh that this brought me!"

Gina said...

Thank you for sharing your day with us. It made me smile, in fact, I called my daughter and read her your sons antics. I accidentally stumbled upon your blog and am so glad I did. I have a 23 year old "boy" who is disabled. The daily challenges of raising a family affected by special needs can be so hard at times. We have triple the work an average or "typical" family has. I applaud your faith and determination to do it the right way. Continue the good fight.

Unknown said...

Oh Donna! There are times a nice "Comfy and safe" jail would help Moms out! Of course we would have to name it differently! ;0)

He is resourceful, smart, persistent, and can obviously talk you out of being too mad at his antics! Maybe he'd make a good lawyer.....he kept himself out of jail!

Melinda said...

OH I remember days also when Noah could not be left unattended ever!

Since moving back to this area now he can be left unattended...for long periods of time and entertain himself.

I am almost lost.....finally having free time and not always knowing what to do with it! It has been years......like at least 8-9....since I have had any free time...so this is very new to me.

Unknown said...

I have been "lurking" off and on, but had to say I am glad you are back! :) I love reading about your adventures. God definitely has a sense of humor when He gives us our kids!

As for the jail...I would TOTALLY buy one. My kids would love putting each other in it! hee hee